Monday, July 9, 2018

First Post


Welcome to my blog site where I will document my epic bike ride from Berlin, VT to San Francisco. CA. The idea of cycling across the country came to me last year after I finished an ironman triathlon and found myself looking for my next physical and mental challenge. My goal is to accomplish the approximately 3,800 miles in seven weeks by riding an average of 100 miles each day from Vermont to Colorado and then around 85 miles a day while climbing the mountains from the Rockies through the Sierra Nevada’s. 

After discussing this with my wife and children and receiving their blessing, the planning began and details started to come to fruition. My wife Marcia will be accompanying me on this trip by car, her role to include that of porter, cook, camp site coordinator for set up and take down, biking partner at the beginning or end of each day, and emotional support for me. We will be leaving on July 16th and ideally arriving in San Francisco by the end of August (seven weeks), traveling through twelve states in a generally central United States route.

I appreciate the support of National Life Group affording me this opportunity with the ability to work on the road. In particular I want to thank Al Foice and Justin Daniels for approving this flexible work schedule and my team of Dawn Rivers and Katy Tyner for picking up my slack. I will try to update this blog every few days as my adventure unfolds and my energy level allows. As for now, training and completing packing with six days to go...

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy it, guys, and keep us iup to date when you get a chance. You got a beautiful first day to start off with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo, you go guys! So proud of you on this amazing journey together...we are all wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete