Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Two Days Out

Tim: Well, the first day is in the books, and we made it to New York after a tearful sendoff with my kids. We left the house at 6:30 am, with a quick stop at Red Hen for a lovely cinnamon bun, then Huntington gorge and on to Vergennes for lunch at 3 Squares Cafe. The backroads of Vermont were lovely rolling terrain, and I highly recommend them for anyone who wants to go for a beautiful bike ride. I headed along Lake Champlain in Vermont and crossed over into New York an on down to Ticonderoga. I had a four and a half mile climb up route 74 into the Adirondacks where I happily met Marcia to replenish my water, as it was 92 degrees with high humidity. After that I earned a mile and a half downhill into Paradox, New York.


Second day started out in a cool slight drizzle of rain on rolling terrain. I rode by beautiful and picturesque Eagle Lake. The day included four significant climbs followed by refreshing downhills. Marcia and I are connecting several times throughout the day which uplifts me and provides essential water replenishment. We stopped at Blue Mountain Lake for a lunch and rest break. Today ended in Old Forge, New York. I am feeling well and looking forward to continuing this adventure. All told I have completed 194 miles of 3800...only 3606 to go!




Marcia: We left yesterday (really?...we had to stop and think about that as it seems like we've been on the road for days..) and headed to Ticonderoga via Richmond, Monkton, Vergennes, and into NY state at Crown Point. We met  Hannah at Red Hen for a pastry and a send-off. Huntington Gorge was stunning, and a first for both of us, so I stopped and waited until Tim caught up with me (which took him approximately 15 minutes and he hadn't even broken a sweat!) A quick view and a picture and we were back on the road. Vermont is so lovely I was beginning to wonder why we were leaving it at all. Lunch with Abbie and Ken in Vergennes and back on the road again. Our first night just west of Ticonderoga was deer fly camping in high heat and humidity... practice for the days to come. Today brought us into the Adirondacks and past a continuous offering of gorgeous lakes and small hamlets. Tim met me for some much needed calories and water refills, and we set up camp tonight in Old Forge. Specific directions are given here to keep the bears from bothering campers, which is only slightly troubling, as we have one in our backyard at home too. A great start to our big adventure...Tim did 90 miles yesterday and 104 miles today. Me, leapfrogging along and biking back to meet him and ride together when the going looks good, did only 6 miles the first day and 20 something today. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Tim! Excited to follow your journey across America. - CM

    ReplyDelete